|Love this onesie? Click here.|
- Approximately 7 millions Americans are adopted persons
- It is estimated that 140,000 children are adopted by American families each year
- Half of these children are adopted by individual not related to the child and the other half are adopted by relatives such as grandparents or a stepparent.
- The cost of a domestic adoption is between $20,000 to $40,000. An international adoption could cost anywhere between $20,000 to $60,000. However, adoptions through foster care or for a special needs child can cost very little or at no cost.
- $12, 650 is the maximum tax credit the federal government now gives per adoption. This tax credit is due to expire at the end of 2012. If the credit is not renewed, the credit will be reduced to $6,000 and only open to families adopting children with special needs.
- The average adoption is completed within two years.
- Although a favorite in the media, birthparents almost never return to try to reclaim the baby after they relinquish parental rights.
- More than 90% of Americans support adoption, and 64% report a personal connection to adoption.
- President Obama's Presidential Proclamation of National Adoption Month
The Adoption Guide has a free booklet available for download. I found it to be an invaluable wealth of information when we began researching adoption. http://www.theadoptionguide.com/
Adoption Factbook V